Our wholesome carrot cake recipe is extremely moist and made with complete components equivalent to white complete wheat flour, maple syrup, heat spices, and applesauce.
This recipe was modified on April 7, 2020. It has now been examined a number of occasions to make sure it really works and tastes scrumptious!
Wholesome Carrot Cake = Cake for All Seasons
So I’m making an attempt to determine what season carrot cake belongs in. Is it a winter cake? A summer season cake? An Easter cake? The world could by no means know.
I’m dubbing it a year-round cake as a result of carrots are just about at all times in season. How do you are feeling about that?
This wholesome carrot cake recipe might be the simplest carrot cake you’ll ever make and it’s so good! Right here’s why you must make it:
Why Make This Wholesome Carrot Cake Recipe?
- Complete Grains: on this wholesome carrot cake recipe, we’re utilizing half white complete wheat flour and half all-purpose to verify it’s mild and ethereal.
- Decrease in Sugar: this recipe makes use of a mixture of brown sugar and maple syrup. It’s not overly candy, however nonetheless so yummy.
- Decrease in Fats: we subbed out some oil for applesauce, to verify this wholesome carrot cake nonetheless comes out moist, however not filled with fats.
Is carrot cake wholesome?
For essentially the most half, carrot cake is made with butter, sugar, and flour, making it a decadent dessert particularly when served with basic cream cheese frosting!
This carrot cake recipe, nevertheless, is made more healthy with real-food ingredient swaps equivalent to white complete wheat flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and applesauce.
Wholesome Carrot Cake Substances
You doubtless have already got all the pieces you want for this carrot cake in your kitchen as a result of it’s comprised of pantry staples.
One factor we try to do right here at Match Foodie Finds is bake with comparable components in all of our recipes so that you aren’t scrambling to search out bizarre/hard-to-find components! Right here’s the idea of what you want:
- white complete wheat flour
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- carrot cake spices
- maple syrup
- almond milk
- coconut oil
finest cream cheese frosting
This recipe makes use of a variation of our Greek yogurt cream cheese frosting. It’s easy, not too candy, and one thing you positively don’t wish to skip.
- cream cheese
- Greek yogurt
- maple syrup
Whether or not you’re making this carrot cake recipe for Easter, a household birthday, or simply as a result of. It’s somewhat easy to place collectively.
- Grate Carrots: first, peel and grate 2-cups of carrots. We advise doing a superb to medium grate.
- Moist Substances: Mix all moist components minus the coconut oil in a big bowl. Make sure that so as to add the coconut oil final in order that it doesn’t coagulate.
- Dry Substances: Mix dry components in a big bowl.
- Combine: Add moist components to dry and blend to mix. Lastly, add in melted coconut oil and blend once more.
- Bake: Switch the carrot cake batter right into a greased 9×9-inch pan and bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes.
- Frost: Let carrot cake cool fully after which frost with Greek yogurt cream cheese frosting.
Can I make this cake vegan?
Whereas we haven’t examined this recipe with flax eggs, we’re assured that it’s going to work. Observe our How to Make a Flax Egg recipe! Along with a flax egg, you’ll be able to change the Greek yogurt with a non-dairy yogurt or much more mashed banana.
Can I sub a unique flour equivalent to almond flour or coconut 4?
The brief reply to that is NO. Coconut flour and almond flour can NOT be swapped 1:1 with white complete wheat flour. You’ll must discover a grain-free particular carrot cake recipe if you wish to go that route.
Cowl carrot cake with a bit of plastic wrap and retailer within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days.
- 3–4 massive carrots, peeled and grated (2-cups packed)
- 3/Four cup white complete wheat flour
- 3/Four cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mild brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon floor ginger
- 1/eight teaspoon salt
- 1/Three cup chopped pecans
- 1/Three cup raisins
- 1/Three cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 massive eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/Four cup maple syrup
- 1/Four cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or extra to style)
Wholesome Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×9-inch pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Put aside.
- Subsequent, peel and grate 2 to three massive carrots. Place grated carrot on 2 items of paper towel and squeeze out as a lot of the moisture as attainable. Save the juice and drink it! It’s good for you ????
- Measure out 2 cups of grated carrots after which place into a big bowl together with the remainder of the dry components and blend.
- In a medium bowl, combine collectively moist components minus the coconut oil.
- Add moist components into the dry components and blend. Lastly, add in melted coconut oil and blend once more.
- Switch batter right into a 9×9-inch pan and into the oven. Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes.
- Let carrot cake cool for no less than an hour earlier than frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whereas the carrot cake is cooling, make wholesome cream cheese frosting. Place all components right into a medium bowl and blend till clean.
- As soon as the carrot cake is cool sufficient, frost, high with optionally available floor cinnamon and chopped pecans, slice, and luxuriate in!
Ideas & Notes
- This recipe was up to date on April 7, 2020, as many individuals had issues with the cake being too dense. For the unique recipe click on HERE.
- Diet info doesn’t embody optionally available toppings.
Serving Dimension: 1/9
Key phrases: wholesome carrot cake