Straight from The Nicely Plated Cookbook, this Butternut Squash, Hen and Wild Rice Casserole is the final word Fall dish!
Full of hen, butternut squash, wild rice and extra scrumptious savory flavors, you’ll be making this all season lengthy.
The Nicely Plated Cookbook is Right here!
The Well Plated Cookbook is lastly out, and we’re love love loving all these scrumptious recipes (there are over 130 of ’em in this cookbook!). When Erin says that these recipes are quick, wholesome recipes you’ll need to eat — she’s 100% proper!
Packed in this gorgeous cookbook are superb recipes for each meal — recipes that pack elements you will discover at a daily grocery retailer (no obscure elements you’ll by no means use once more!), wholesome swaps for traditional midwestern dishes, and recipe hacks that assist you to put a wholesome meal on the desk on daily basis.
Fall Flavors in a Bowl
It was a cold day in Minneapolis after we made this recipe, so we have been actually feeling within the temper for Fall flavors. And this recipe is straight up FALL flavors all collectively in a single place. We’re speaking wild rice, butternut squash, recent herbs, pecans, dried cranberries and savory hen. YUM.
This Casserole is Nice for…
Meal Prep: This butternut squash, hen and wild rice casserole will inventory you up for just a few days of lunch and dinner. Plus, it may be simply reheated. Dare we are saying it tasted EVEN BETTER on day 2?!
Serving a Crowd: Trying to serve your complete household? This recipe is simply good for that as a result of It serves 6-Eight and is as hearty as will be.
Balanced Meal: Get your protein, veggies, and grains multi functional dish!
Make It Meatless: Swap the hen for two (15- ounce) cans of rinsed- and- drained reduced-sodium white beans, comparable to nice Northern or cannellini beans. Add the beans to the squash in step 5.
Different Cuts of Hen: Swap out the 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless hen thighs for 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless hen breasts. You probably have leftover hen from cooking a complete hen, merely use 1.5 lbs of any lower!
How Lengthy Will This Casserole Maintain?
Most hen casseroles like this one will final 3-5 days within the fridge.
Storage tip: make certain to retailer your casserole in an hermetic container with the lid on.
To Freeze: Bake the casserole utterly, then let cool to room temperature. Cowl it tightly, then freeze for as much as Three months.
To Thaw and Reheat: Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, deliver to room temperature, then cowl with foil and reheat in a 350°F oven till warmed by. You’ll want to use a pan that’s freezer and oven secure.
- 1 cup raw wild and brown rice mix
- 1.5 kilos boneless, skinless hen thighs, trimmed of extra fats
- four tablespoons further virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon floor black pepper, divided
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1½ lbs.)
- 1 medium yellow onion, lower into ¼- inch cube (about 1½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped recent thyme, plus further for garnish
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces), divided
- ½ cup roughly chopped uncooked pecans or walnuts
- Prepare dinner the rice in response to the package deal directions. Drain off any extra cooking liquid and put aside (it’s best to have about Three cooked cups).
- Place a rack within the heart of your oven and preheat the oven to 425° F. For simple cleanup, lay a big piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper within the backside of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Prepare the hen thighs in a single layer on high, tucking the unfastened facet portion of every thigh beneath. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bake on the middle rack of the oven till the hen thighs attain 165° F on an instant- learn thermometer on the thickest half, about 20 minutes. Instantly switch from the dish to a plate and canopy. Let relaxation 10 minutes. Scale back the oven temperature to 350 levels F. Discard the foil or parchment and maintain the pan useful.
- Whereas the hen cooks, peel the butternut squash and trim off the highest and backside ends. Reduce the neck away from the spherical base, then stand the bottom up on its ﬂat finish and lower it in half from high to backside. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Reduce the squash (each base and neck) into ½- inch cubes (it’s best to have about four cups cubes).
- In a big, deep skillet with a tight- ﬁtting lid, warmth the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium warmth. Add the squash, onion, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Sauté till the onion begins to melt, about 2 minutes. Cowl and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till the squash is tender however nonetheless retains some chew, 6 to eight minutes.
- As soon as the hen has rested, lower it into bite- sized items. Add it to the pan with the squash, then add the thyme, cranberries, ¼ cup of the Parmesan, and the rice. Stir to mix.
- Frivolously coat with nonstick spray the identical 9×13- inch dish you used to bake the hen (no want to clean it in between). With a big spoon, scoop the squash and rice combination into the dish, spreading it into an excellent layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then take away the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the nuts and remaining ¼ cup Parmesan on high. Bake Eight to 10 further minutes, till the cheese is melted and the nuts are toasted and crisp. Sprinkle with further chopped recent thyme and serve heat.
Serving Measurement: 1/6 recipe Energy: 475 Sugar: 18 Sodium: 470 Fats: 23 Carbohydrates: 46 Fiber: 7 Protein: 26 Ldl cholesterol: 102
Key phrases: butternut squash casserole