When was the final time you counted to a thousand?
That is the rhetorical query requested by former U.S. Marine Aaron Marks in introducing his newest exercise — a full-body circuit consisting of 1,000 whole reps. This routine is for anybody who lacks fitness center gear however needs better conditioning, fat loss, and overall grit.
who the exercise will not be for? The faint of coronary heart.
Featured coach: Aaron Marks is a Marine Corps veteran who served 4 years as a machine gunner with 2nd BN, eighth Marines in Camp Lejeune, NC. Now residing in Portland, OR, he’s additionally a programming adviser and athlete for Hard to Kill Fitness and a full-time member of the Bravo Sierra team.
Gear wanted: “NBB” (nothing however body weight)
Time dedication: Block off an hour (give or take) for this exercise, relying in your health degree.
Exercise overview: Marks’ circuit is fairly straight-forward — a group of seven workout routines that may work you head to toe, 4 rounds of 225 reps mixed, and 1,000 whole reps by the top of the exercise.
Break up the reps nevertheless you need (or want) to. In every spherical, you’ll be able to both do all reps for an train earlier than shifting onto the following, or travel between workout routines. For instance, you could wish to break up the 40 reps of burpees with some Supermans or mendacity leg raises combined in.
“This exercise may be as enjoyable as it’s troublesome. Whether or not you’re training with a friend or in a group, or aiming to beat your finest time, something goes with a exercise like this. Are you able to add gear? Completely, however achieve this at your personal threat. For instance, I carried out the air squats with a 60-pound Go Ruck Sandbag, and Spherical 2 was loads more durable than I anticipated.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you!”
Aaron Marks’ ‘Arduous to Kill’ 1,000-Rep, Complete-Physique Circuit
Warmup: Do 5 to 1zero minutes of sunshine cardio, adopted by full-body dynamic stretching, earlier than finishing the beneath routine.
“One factor I love to do earlier than a exercise is to heat up with a really gentle jog to get my blood flowing and body warmed up,” says Marks. “I’ll normally run to 1-2 songs, so roughly 4-6 minutes. So, decide two songs to get your thoughts proper, and begin jogging. One other nice different is shadow boxing (for all you fighters on the market).
“Warming up correctly is extraordinarily necessary in your exercise. Along with preventing sudden injuries, a great warmup will actually provide help to activate your muscle tissue to get essentially the most out of your exercise. A stable 5-10-minute warmup adjustments every little thing.”
The exercise: Full Four rounds of the next workout routines
- Diamond Pushup – 25 reps
- Air Squat – 40 reps
- Mountain Climber – 60 reps
- Superman – 35 reps
- Burpee – 40 reps
- Cannonball Situps – 30 reps
- Mendacity Leg Elevate – 20 reps
Relaxation intervals: “Whereas this exercise will not be for time (although it may be), solely relaxation so long as you could between rounds,” says Marks. Most individuals can even must take relaxation throughout rounds and workout routines, particularly on strikes like burpees and diamond push-ups. Relaxation as wanted to finish all reps.
Disclaimer: As the #1,000 suggests, this can be a high-volume, extremely difficult exercise. Don’t try it as written except you’re in pretty good condition. In case you’re not sure, do 1-2 rounds of the circuit as a substitute of 4. You’ll fall effectively wanting 1,000 reps doing this, however it should nonetheless present a ample exercise.
- Diamond pushup – This can be a triceps-focused pushup together with your index fingers and thumbs touching to type a diamond form.
- Air squats – Carry out these shortly when you like, however ensure your thighs are reaching parallel with the bottom on each rep.
- Mountain climber – Be at liberty to make these “one-count” mountain climbers, the place each “right-left” is 2 reps. Get via these as shortly as attainable.
- Superman – Sluggish this motion down a bit, ensuring you are feeling the glutes contracting on each rep. Use Supermans as a brief break in your lungs – you’ll want it for the following train…
- Burpee – Contact your chest to the bottom and soar on the high of each rep. Forty reps per spherical shall be robust; relaxation as wanted and simply get them accomplished.
- Cannonball Situp – This train is much like a V-up (mendacity faceup, beginning together with your legs prolonged and arms overhead), besides as a substitute of touching your arms and toes collectively, elevate your legs and torso off the bottom in order that they meet within the center together with your knees bent. The highest of every rep ought to appear to be a “cannonball” you’d do at a swimming pool.
- Mendacity Leg Elevate – Mendacity faceup on the ground together with your legs prolonged and arms on the ground at your sides for stability, elevate your legs (maintaining them straight all through) to perpendicular with the ground, then decrease again down.