You’ll love this straightforward seared ahi tuna recipe. It’s marinated in soy sauce, ginger, and lime juice after which coated with sesame seeds.
On this publish, we’ll educate you all about ahi tuna together with suggestions and tips in how one can make completely cooked seared ahi tuna each time.
Ahi tuna steaks are an exquisite protein to sear as much as eat in tacos or a poke bowl. This seared ahi tuna recipe is made with a scrumptious marinade and sesame seeds. It’s rapidly seared on the skin, leaving the within uncommon and scrumptious.
All About Ahi Tuna
Ahi tuna AKA yellowfin tuna is a species of tuna present in tropical oceans worldwide. Ahi is a Hawaiian phrase that refers to an identical species of tuna – bigeye tuna.
Ahi tuna is often eaten completely uncooked or seared on simply the skin with a uncommon inside as a result of the feel is so fantastic and it’s suitable for eating uncooked.
Is ahi tuna suitable for eating uncooked? We solely advocate consuming uncooked ahi tuna if you are going to buy sushi/sashimi-grade ahi tuna.
Ahi tuna is often bought as ahi tuna steaks at most grocery shops or butchers. You can even discover frozen ahi tuna steaks, which may be thawed and ready.
ahi tuna diet
Ahi tuna is a wholesome fish naturally excessive in protein and decrease in each energy and carbs. The serving measurement of ahi tuna is round 4-oz. Diet based mostly on a 4-oz. serving:
- energy: 120
- fats: 1g
- protein: 28g
- carbs: 0g
- sugar: 0g
- fiber: 0g
Straightforward Seared Ahi Tuna
On the subject of fish, ahi tuna is queen (and king). There may be simply one thing in regards to the taste and texture of ahi tuna that doesn’t even examine to every other fish!
Marinate this ahi tuna for 30 minutes after which the cook dinner time is lower than 5 minutes. We’re not joking, you’ll have scrumptious and flavorful ahi tuna very quickly.
why we love this seared ahi tuna recipe
- You may have restaurant type tuna at dwelling!
- These ahi tuna steaks are crunchy on the skin and uncommon on the within.
- There are a lot of alternative ways to eat this ahi tuna.
- Ahi tuna is a good supply of protein.
The place to Purchase Ahi Tuna
We’ll point out this just a few occasions on this publish, however when consuming uncooked or uncommon ahi tuna, we advocate shopping for a sushi-grade tuna. One of the best place to search out this at at a butcher, the place you’ll be able to converse to somebody in regards to the high quality of their fish.
In case you can’t discover recent ahi tuna, it’s frozen ahi tuna is broadly accessible and may be discovered within the frozen part of most grocery shops.
Straightforward Ahi Tuna Marinade
For this seared ahi tuna recipe, we wished the tuna to be seasoned with a flavorful zing, so we used the next elements:
- Soy sauce
- Pink chili sauce
- Recent grated ginger
- Lime juice
Tips on how to Make Ahi Tuna Marinade
To verify the ahi tuna had time to marinate in all this goodness, we combined all these elements up in a mason jar and gave it a superb shake to combine all of it collectively.
Place the uncooked ahi tuna in a Stasher bag (any sealable plastic bag will work!) and pour the marinade in with it earlier than putting it within the fridge laying flat to permit the tuna to soak it up for not less than 30 minutes.
We reccomend solely marinating for 30 minutes as a result of citrus can begin the cooking course of if fish marinates in it for too lengthy.
Wish to add somewhat one thing further to this marinade? Add any of the additions beneath to alter issues up!
- Fish sauce
- Tamarind paste
Tips on how to Sear Ahi Tuna Completely
Whether or not you’re searching for a uncommon tuna steak (how we cooked ours in these pictures!), a medium-rare tuna steak, or a well-done tuna steak, WE GOT YOU.
First, you’ll wish to ensure that your skillet is sizzling sizzling sizzling. We’re speaking set to medium / excessive with sufficient time to completely warmth up.
You’ll know your skillet is nice to go when the olive oil is aromatic. Place 1 tuna steak within the skillet and cling to the next cook dinner occasions relying on how properly achieved you want your seared ahi tuna:
- Uncommon: 30 seconds per aspect
- Medium uncommon: 1 minute per aspect
- Nicely achieved: 2 minutes per aspect
Different Issues to Know
Is seared ahi tuna protected?
Sure, seared ahi tuna is suitable for eating, however be sure you buy high quality ahi tuna from a butcher or a model that sells sushi-grade ahi tuna. In case you really feel uncomfortable consuming a uncommon ahi tuna steak, be happy to cook dinner it till it’s cooked by means of the center.
Additionally, in case your ahi tuna smells humorous or off we advise not consuming it!
Recent or Frozen Ahi Tuna
You should use recent ahi tuna or frozen ahi tuna.
If you’re utilizing frozen ahi tuna, take away the frozen fish from the freezer the day earlier than you intend to eat it and place it within the fridge to thaw.
Take away extra moisture from the ahi tuna (recent or frozen) with a paper towel earlier than putting it within the marinade.
Tips on how to retailer ahi tuna
Retailer your seared ahi tuna in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days.
Simple Asian Salad– Seeking to pair one among your favourite Asian dishes with a easy Asian salad? We’ve acquired you lined with this colourful Asian salad recipe dressed with a yummy Asian salad dressing.
Cauliflower Fried Rice– This Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe is a scrumptious low carb various to conventional fried rice. Filled with veggies and an excellent flavorful sauce, plus it’s simple to make. Take pleasure in!
Thai Chili Corn Salad– We love this Thai Chili Summer season Corn Salad. It’s made with grilled corn, carrots, crimson pepper, cabbage, and essentially the most scrumptious French dressing! Make this grilled corn salad as we speak.
Rainbow Asian Noodle Salad– Scrumptious veggies like crimson and inexperienced peppers, carrots, pea pods, crimson onion and cucumbers tossed with an asian sesame dressing and linguine noodles make for the freshest of the recent salads.
- 1.5 lbs. ahi tuna steaks (2 1.5-inch steaks)
- 1/Three cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crimson chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon recent grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Four tablespoons sesame seeds
- Four tablespoons olive oil
- First, place tuna steaks in a big bowl or a plastic bag.
- Make ahi tuna marinade and add soy sauce, chili sauce, grated ginger, and lime juice to a small mason jar. Tighten cowl after which shake the jar till all elements are mixed. Pour combination over the ahi tuna steaks.
- Seal the plastic bag and place the steaks within the fridge and let marinate for not less than 30 minutes.
- Take away ahi tuna steaks from the fridge after which take away from the marinade. Pour sesame seeds on a plate and coat each a part of each tuna steak with sesame seeds.
- Warmth a big skillet over medium/excessive warmth and a pair of tablespoons of olive oil. When the olive oil is aromatic, add one tuna steak to the pan and sear for 30 seconds to 2 minutes on either side.*
- Repeat for the second tuna steak.
- Let seared tuna steaks relaxation for two minutes after which thinly slice.
Ideas & Notes
- 30 seconds for uncommon, 1 minute for medium-rare, and a pair of minutes for properly achieved.
- This recipe was up to date on July 14, 2019.
Serving Dimension: 1/Four recipe
Key phrases: seared ahi tuna steaks
Images: pictures taken on this publish are by Erin from The Wood Skillet.