Lemon desserts are at all times successful. They’re gentle, tangy, candy, and make the right little “one thing” while you need somewhat one thing. This recipe for the perfect gluten-free lemon bars actually is excellent since you’re getting a triple whammy of that lemony taste you’re keen on. That’s proper, there’s lemon within the shortbread crust, there’s lemon within the creamy tart filling, and there’s even lemon infused into the whipped cream topping. Lemon from head to toe!
If life provides you lemons, make this gluten-free lemon bar recipe!
Lemon bars are a kind of treats that everybody loves. Simply ask! We’ve got but to seek out anybody who would flip down a lemon bar, with all its balanced tart and candy goodness, creamy texture, and scrumptious shortbread crust. And now that you’ve got a recipe at your fingertips for the right gluten-free lemon bars, (plus an choice to make them dairy-free lemon bars), much more folks can get pleasure from this heavenly baked good that’s really easy to make.
We predict this simple lemon bar recipe is excellent for Easter and Mom’s Day, year-round household gatherings, child and bridal showers, taking to a good friend, bringing to the workplace, and simply to make any week higher.
Components to make gluten-free lemon bars
That’s it! If you wish to make the lemon whipped topping (which we extremely suggest), then you definitely’ll additionally want heavy cream and powdered sugar.
Shop Thrive Market to get the perfect costs on pure, natural, and specialty meals. PLUS get a free reward valued at $24 while you sign-up! Store Thrive Marketplace for your whole baking necessities!
Learn how to make gluten-free lemon bars
Begin by making the shortbread crust. Ours is extremely easy. The toughest half, actually, is having endurance for the dough to return collectively in your palms. Once you first combine the flour, sugar, salt, lemon zest, and butter it is going to be fairly crumbly. You might want to hold working it along with your palms till it kinds a dough ball, which WILL occur. The heat of your palms melts and helps distribute the butter. Subsequent, press the shortbread crust into the pan. Once more, this takes some endurance as you gently work the dough to the sides of the pan in a good layer.
Bake the crust for five minutes, simply sufficient time for it to begin to set, earlier than you add the lemon filling. The filling is made by mixing eggs, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and lemon zest. Pour this filling over the par-baked crust after which return all of it to the oven for 30 minutes.
Suggestions for making excellent lemon bars each time
The pan: You may make these lemon bars in an 8-inch sq. or 9-inch sq. glass or ceramic pan. We don’t suggest utilizing a steel baking dish as that may make the crust too darkish and may impart a metallic style. In case you have one, we expect the 8-inch pan is healthier as a result of it’s going to make your filling taller and obtain a 2-to-1 filling-to-crust ratio.
The filling: To get a superbly easy filling layer, we suggest straining the filling combination by means of a fine-mesh sieve to take away any bits of egg or sugar which are too massive. Then, after straining, stir within the lemon zest so you continue to get all that lemony good taste in there.
The sides: To get excellent edges and uniform squares, it helps to line the pan with parchment so you possibly can raise your entire slab of bars out of the pan and onto a big slicing board. Then, use a Chef’s knife to chop the very periphery off of every facet (about 1/8-inch per facet) of the slab earlier than slicing into 16 even lemon squares.
The topping: This recipe additionally contains an possibility for making selfmade lemon whipped topping, which provides a pleasant end and light-weight, creamy steadiness to the lemon bars. To make the topping, infuse heavy cream with lemon zest for a number of hours within the fridge, then whip the cream into comfortable peaks and add a dollop on high of every bar. You can even high these excellent lemon bars with a dusting of powdered sugar or a small slice of lemon.
Learn how to retailer this lemon bar recipe:
The baked bars will retailer effectively within the fridge for as much as one week. The whipped topping could be made as much as 24 hours forward and refrigerated, then re-whisk earlier than serving. Nonetheless, we don’t suggest freezing lemon bars because the filling will break down over time.
Different scrumptious lemon desserts to attempt
For the Crust
- 1 cup gluten-free flour*
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened**
For the Filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup recent lemon juice (from 3–4 lemons)
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- Optionally available toppings: Lemon Whipped Cream, powdered sugar, skinny lemon wedges, or lemon peels
For the Lemon Whipped Cream (non-obligatory)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels. Line an ungreased 8×8-inch glass baking dish with crossing strips of parchment, which can make it simpler so that you can raise the lemon bars out of the dish after baking.
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest; combine gently till mixed. Add butter and blend till the dough is crumbly (it is not going to come all the way in which collectively but). Subsequent, use your palms to knead the dough till it comes collectively in a ball. It will take a while, so be affected person. The dough will come collectively as the heat of your palms calmly melts the butter.
- Press the dough into the ready baking dish over the parchment strips. Once more, be affected person as you’re employed the dough into a good layer. Make the layer as at the same time as potential, with none rise on the edges, patting it down along with your fingers. Bake for five minutes after which take away to chill barely when you put together the filling. This brief baking time simply helps to start out setting the crust, nevertheless it is not going to be absolutely baked but.
- In the meantime, make the filling. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice (not the lemon zest but). Combine till the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved. Pressure the combination by means of a sieve (this step is just not mandatory, however makes for a really easy and nice-looking filling). Stir the lemon zest in and gently pour the filling over the par-baked crust. Return to the oven and bake for 30 minutes with out opening the oven.
- Take away baking dish from oven and let bars cool 15 minutes within the pan. Run a knife across the outer fringe of the parchment, and really gently raise up on the parchment flaps to take away the complete slab to a slicing board. When you choose excellent squares, use a Chef’s knife to chop off the outer 1/8-inch edge on all 4 sides, then reduce into 16 squares. Refrigerate bars no less than 1 hour earlier than serving, then high with desired garnishes. Retailer any leftovers within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
Learn how to Make Lemon-Infused Whipped Cream: Eight to 24 hours earlier than serving, add 1 tablespoon lemon zest to the heavy cream (you possibly can add the zest proper to the heavy cream container; shut and retailer within the fridge). Earlier than serving, in a stand mixer or hand-held mixer with whisk attachment, mix the lemon-flavored heavy cream and powdered sugar. Whip till comfortable peaks type. Serve instantly or retailer within the coldest a part of the fridge for as much as Four hours earlier than serving; could have to re-whip earlier than serving.
* You should utilize the identical amound of standard all-purpose flour for the gluten-free flour when you don’t need or want gluten-free lemon bars. For gluten-free flour choices, we like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-for-1 Baking Flour, and King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure-for-Measure Flour Blend.
**To make these lemon bars dairy free, skip the whipped topping and sub 6 tablespoons strong coconut oil for the butter within the crust. You’ll have to work the dough somewhat extra along with your palms, as a result of it is going to be crumbly at first, however it’s going to ultimately come right into a dough ball with endurance. If utilizing coconut oil, press the dough into the pan after which chill within the fridge for 30 minutes earlier than baking. Additionally, par-bake the crust for 10 minutes as an alternative of 5 minutes.
Pin It Now, Make It Later!
All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. When you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your personal distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to the supply recipe right here on The Actual Meals Dietitians. Thanks!
Picture Credit score: The pictures on this weblog put up have been taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.