Banana bread, muffins, cookies, pancakes, and pudding…Chances are high you’ve mastered all of them, now that we’re formally in month six of the pandemic. (We will all simply eat our approach by means of it, it’s advantageous.) Possibly you’ve even experimented with making slightly banana “nice cream,” too. However you’re not completed with mushy bananas till you’ve made this actually next-level, upside-down avocado banana cake with a coconut caramel sauce.
The all-star of quarantine baking pairs completely with avocado. (What doesn’t, actually?) The recipe comes courtesy of Alessandro Biggi, Francesco Brachetti, and Alberto Gramigni, the co-founders of avocado-centric restaurant Avocaderia and the co-authors of a cookbook ($15.29) by the identical identify.
Watch the video under to see why avocados are such a dietary goldmine:
“Avocados and banana have been completely meant to be collectively,” Biggi says. “On this case, avocados don’t influence immediately on the flavour, however they add creaminess to the recipe and makes the cake even softer and extra moist.” With out everybody’s favourite wholesome fats, your upside-down banana cake runs the chance of tasting too dry.
Different components within the cake embrace flour, coconut milk, lemon juice, cinnamon, and brown sugar—key, after all, to creating any upside-down cake. One professional tip Biggi says to bear in mind when following the recipe is to watch out to not overcook the caramel sauce. “In any other case, it’ll get too darkish and bitter,” he says.
Whereas he’s a stickler about not straying from the instructions on making the sauce, he positively encourages experimenting in different methods whereas following the recipe. “You’ll be able to play with some components to present the cake slightly twist, for instance, you may change cinnamon for vanilla or add different spices akin to cloves,” he says.
Upside-down avo-banana cake with coconut caramel
Makes 1 6-inch sq. cake
1/Four cup plus Three Tbsp packed brown sugar
1/Four cup canned unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, plus extra as wanted
2 bananas, sliced lengthwise, plus 2/Three cup mashed ripe bananas
half of avocado, pitted and peeled
1 tsp recent lemon juice
Three Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 giant egg
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 half of tsp baking powder
half of tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line the underside of a 6-inch sq. baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan, mix three tablespoons of the brown sugar and two tablespoons water and warmth over medium warmth, till the combination begins to get syrupy and turns a deep golden brown. Stir within the coconut milk till mixed, including extra as wanted, one tablespoon at a time, till the combination is thick however pourable. Pour into the ready baking pan and prime with the banana slices.
3. In a blender, mix the two-thirds cup mashed bananas, the avocado, and the lemon juice and mix till easy.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the coconut oil, egg, remaining one-fourth cup brown sugar, and the avocado combination till easy. Whisk within the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
5. Pour the batter into the ready baking pan over the sliced bananas and bake till golden, about 50 minutes. Let cool fully on a wire rack.
Take a look at the video under to get an inside take a look at Avocoderia with Girls Get Paid founder Claire Wasserman.
Our editors independently choose these merchandise. Making a purchase order by means of our hyperlinks could earn Effectively+Good a fee.